Friday, September 11, 2009


We have the sweetest little dog. At least we think we do. This is what Jordan did to our little dogs picture. They fight like siblings. If Jordan and I are sitting next to each other, Ceazar will jump up between us, and try to push Jordan out of the way so he can get all the attention.


PBC DIAGNOSIS


PBC diagnosis is based on pieces of information. Itching and fatigue alert the physician that bile ducts may be damaged. As previously mentioned, high levels of certain liver enzymes in the blood are important clues. Probably the most important laboratory test is one for mitochondrial antibodies. Mitochondria are the energy sources within cells. For unknown reasons a protein antibody develops against them in 95% of PBC cases. The physician must look at the whole picture to make the diagnosis of PBC. Often the physician x-rays the bile ducts to rule out other causes of obstruction. This x-ray, called an ERCP, is performed under light sedation. A lighted, flexible endoscope is inserted through the mouth, stomach, and then into the small intestine. A thin tube is placed through the scope into the bile ducts on the x-ray. As the disease progresses, a liver biopsy is needed to determine how much damage hoccuas rred. Under local anesthesia, a slender needle is inserted through the right lower chest to extract a small piece of liver for microscopic analysis.

I never had to have a biopsy until after my transplant. I had a picture of my liver. When I had my hysterectomy my doctor took a picture of my liver and gave it to me. I was a really sick little puppy, more so than anybody thought. How many people can say that. If it is weird, It will happen to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment